rss
twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Finally Some Answers Cont.

Well here we go again. I have got three more answers for you today, so let’s get after it.

And before I confuse anyone, we are starting with question #3 because questions #1 & 2 were answered in the last entry. Which I ultimately decided had gotten too long, so I made you wait a little longer for the rest. Hope you’re not too upset! Okay enough of that, here goes:

Question #3
~ How much does it cost per turbine to construct a large wind farm?

The most comprehensive answer I could find can be found on Windustry’s Web site. So you can go directly to their Web page and read the answer in its entirety or you can stick with me on this one. I’ll keep it short and sweet for you.

Of course the first statement that Windustry makes on this topic is that the cost of installing a wind turbine depends on a lot of things. These vary from the location of the project, the contracts involved, financing costs, the size of the project, etc. In general they state that in 2007 a commercial scale turbine cost somewhere between $1.2 million to $2.6 million per MW. The example they gave stated that a 2 MW turbine (one of the most common sizes) cost about $3.5 million to install.

Now that you have my short and sweet answer I recommend that you check out Windusty’s Web site if you need more in-depth stuff.

Question #4 ~ Who are the developers, manufacturers that are keeping the wind industry going? Are most of them foreign companies?

So this question gave me a little trouble. I could easily give my opinion on the matter, but I wanted it to be supported by other sources. I will start with my opinion and I encourage anyone who is better versed in the topic to add their thoughts by posting a comment. Here’s what I can make of the situation; suppliers and manufacturing facilities in the United States are growing as is the entire wind industry. It is true that a lot of developers and so on aren’t based in the U.S., but many of them have begun building facilities here. At some point a lot of countries jumped ahead of the United States in wind energy development and therefore we are currently playing catch-up in that sector. I believe the wind industry offers a lot of potential to our country right now, the potential for new businesses and new job opportunities. We have a lot to learn from what other countries have done in wind.

One article I found gave a lot of information on the status of wind turbine manufacturing both worldwide and specific to the United States. It states that most turbines are imported from Europe and Asia, but that turbine parts made in the U.S. grew to 50% in 2008, up from less than 30% in 2005. It also goes into how the recent stimulus act might help the industry. You can read the entire article here: U.S. Wind Turbine Manufacturing Will Increase

Question # 5 ~ How much per mile does the construction of the new transmission lines in our area cost?

This one was easy for me to answer because Tom Gray, AWEA’s Director of Communications was kind enough to leave a comment on one of my previous blog entries. Therefore I will quote him directly, “Hi, the CREZ lines are 2,400 miles in length and will cost $4.9 billion, so the cost per mile is about $2 million.” Thanks Tom!

Alrighty!! Well I finally got that all worked out. Hope that I was thorough enough for your taste and that you made it this far along without having to take a quick nap. Once again, and I can’t say it enough, if you have comments or any input please post it as a comment. Until next time…

1 comments:

Kelly A said...

Here's another source that helps answers question #4. Science Daily's recent article (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090717150256.htm) breaks down a recent report put out by the Department of Energy.

"Market growth is spurring manufacturing investments in the U.S. Several major foreign wind turbine manufacturers either opened or announced new U.S. wind turbine manufacturing plants in 2008. Likewise, new and existing U.S.-based manufacturers either initiated or scaled-up production. The number of utility-scale wind turbine manufacturers assembling turbines in the U.S. increased from just one in 2004 (GE) to five in 2008 (GE, Gamesa, Clipper, Acciona, CTC/DeWind)."

Post a Comment